Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Crafty Tuesday - Cold Porcelain

Crafty Tuesday, cold porcelain, clay, sculptingHello crafty people...and not crafty people are welcome too! Today I am going to show you what I created using homemade cold porcelain. First, I followed a very simple tutorial on how to make my own cold porcelain. That can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=AxqmMyLwxk0
Be sure you are very careful measuring the ingredients, I had a little bit of an overspill with the oil and now my clay is very very oily and takes FOREVER to dry. I have also found that I need to brush some cornstarch on the project to reduce the oily shine to it.

My daughter began trying to create a cat sculpture but quickly became discouraged when the head was too heavy to sit on the body she created.


I used markers to 'dye' the clay and used a simple blending technique with just my hands to create the gradated colors for this rose. I didn't take step by step pictures because there are tons of tutorial all over that would do a MUCH better job of explaining that I could. I then created thin strips from the blended clay and began making a rose. (Again, no step by step, but you can do a quick search for making a clay rose and find tons of tutorials online.) After the clay dried a little and wasn't quite so soft, I used a darker red marker to create some contrast detail on the tips of the petals. I really like how this one turned out. 


I created several different colors for this and balled each color and stuck it to the next. Once I had all the colors I created a long snake out of the clay and just spiraled the snake into the metal hoop. After flattening the clay I used stamps to create impressions in the clay and used markers to create the contrast.

These were just created by me messing around right after the clay was done 'resting'. The first image shows what the clay looks like dry and uncolored. Like porcelain, it has a slight translucent quality to it. The second image I colored with an ink pad. I thought I would like the rough edge but I think this is my least favorite of everything I have created so far.
 
I still have a pretty good bit of clay left and not sure what I will create with it just yet. Perhaps more roses as that turned out the best out of everything I made.
 
Once again, if there is any project you would like us to try, please leave a comment and let us know!
 
 
 
Charity & Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment